About us

The History of Springfield Commons
The history of the land on which Springfield Commons is located can be traced to 1804 when Michael Jack bought the property and dug tanning vats to establish a tannery operation.  
In 1825, William Murray managed the Springfield Tannery and purchased a parcel of land at the east end of the village, originally called Springfield and later renamed Boalsburg.  Murray built the home (known as the Sarah Sweet House) that today houses the Boalsburg Heritage Museum at 304 E. Main Street.  The building was gifted to the Heritage Museum in 1983 and is listed in the Pennsylvania Register of Historic Sites and Landmarks.
In 1837, Jonathan Mosser bought 38 acres of the Murray property including the tannery operation.  Mosser and his sons owned and operated the tannery through the 1880s. Subsequently, the property was sold to Philip Meyer.
In 1902, William M. Myers (unrelated to Philip Meyer) purchased the farm and cooperated in the building of a small electrical plant that powered lights from there to the Boal Mansion at the west end of the village.  The structure that became known as “The Lighthouse” still stands adjacent to the Sarah Sweet House.  
         In 1932, Sara Catherine Myers purchased the farm and her childhood home from the estate
         of her father, William, after his death.  When she married William Nathanial Sweet, the house
         was named  the Myers-Sweet Home. 

         In 1969, Janice Sweet (Sara’s granddaughter) married John McElhoe.  The land owned by
         the McElhoes became a mobile home park consisting of 15 units.
In 2003, Thomas F. Songer II, bought 21.43 acres from John McElhoe to develop Springfield Commons (SFC).  Songer’s concept was an upscale community in keeping with the historical character of Boalsburg.  In 2005, he began developing SFC as a condominium subdivision, offering townhouses or apartments.  When the condominium market slowed,  Songer altered the plan and, in 2014, a Declaration of Planned Community was created and the focus shifted more to single-family homes and duplexes owned by fee-simple title.   
The community was organized as the Springfield Commons Home Owners’ Association (HOA), and, to date, building is almost completed.  In line with the developer’s vision, residences have been built in an architectural style meant to complement historic Boalsburg with high-quality homes set in clusters and more than 30 percent of the tract set aside for permanent open space.  Many of the streets are named to honor the locals who started the tradition of Memorial Day:  Emma (Hunter) Court, Sophie (Keller) Court, Reuben (Hunter) Way, and Dearing Drive (for Col. James Dearing) are examples.  (See the Story of Memorial Day for more information.)   All homes were required to have front porches to encourage porch conversations.  SFC is a walkable community with walkways throughout and a paved path along the northern and eastern perimeters.
Today, Springfield residents enjoy a welcoming, friendly neighborhood with community events, a community center with a work-out facility, lawn care and snow removal.  SFC is open to singles, couples, and families and is not age-restricted.  It is only a short walk to the shops and restaurants of Boalsburg, which promotes community and neighborhood involvement.